Thread: College
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I'm curious - how hard is it to become a college ref in the USA? And are there different levels of college refs in the same way that there are different divisions of schools?
For the most part, it is pretty tough. First you need to have a solid HS varsity schedule for a few years. After that, you would work junior (2-year) college games, then maybe NCAA.

The NCAA is split up into three divisions for college basketball - Division I (the biggest schools, where most of your future NBA players go), Division II, then Division III (smallest athletic programs; no scholarships). Generally you move up from III ---> II ---> I.

Within each division, schools form conferences of about 7-15 schools. Hiring officials is usually by conference, but many big-time officials work for more than one. An East Coast ref might work for ACC or Big East, while a West Coast ref would work for Pac-10 or Mountain West. The best officials travel the entire country to work Top 25 games.

Bottom line: I have my work cut out for me