View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 12:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I was hoping to find a news article which described the play, but all I was able to find was this:

"With 19.4 seconds left, UConn's Charde Houston dribbled the ball out of bounds, and Rutgers held on from there." --David Picker, The New York Times

Anyway, following this turnover, the ball was to be inbounded from the end line about twelve feet from the corner. Obviously, this is a designated-spot throw-in.

Now the wierdness begins. The score is 45-42 in favor of Rutgers at this time.

The officials were Angie Lewis, Bill Titus, and Lisa Mattingly.

For some reason Bill Titus chose to administer the throw-in to Rutgers by standing under the basket and then backing out to the opposite side. I have no idea why.

During the five second count, a teammate of the thrower runs OOB right next to him, but on the opposite side of him from the throw-in location. This player may have actually bumped into him. He turned and immediately blew the whistle. It seems that he mistakenly believed that this player was requesting a time-out. Replays indicate that she was not. It really looks as if she was expecting to receive a pass on the OOB side of the boundary. The common play many teams run when the right to run the end line is in effect.

Bill is then shown tapping his chest in the manner used to indicate "My fault."

UConn's coach Geno Auriemma is confused by why there was a whistle and is unhappy. He is asking for an explanation. Lisa Mattingly comes running in from down the court and they have a chat. Following this discussion, she has one with Bill. The result is that Rutgers is charged with their final time-out and when play is resumed afterwards, Rutgers is once again given a throw-in from the same location.

I'm expecting to see a press release from the Big East conference on the play later in the week.
Bouncing across in this situation was the proper women's mechanic.