View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Let me ask you this: WHY is the BR out? Because the ball was caught? Because it was an Infield Fly? Or, because he interfered?

You might say, "What difference does it make?" That's a good point if you are only concerned about whether the test taker gets the answer correct. But, since EVERY answer has the BR out and the ball dead, there is no opportunity to ferret out any misconceptions on the part of the test taker.

It *is* possible to get things right for the wrong reason. Is that what we want when creating a test?
What is the point of an umpire test? Is it to...

1) Qualify / disqualify umpires based on rules knowledge, as, for example, a driver's test?

or is it to...

2) Renew the knowledge of umpires by causing them to consider which rule applies, search the book, think through the situation, and come to a decision?

The answer can vary with the local association, but I submit it is more #2 than #1.

If the purpose is considerably more than grading, then the question is excellent, because it raises just the questions you asked, and causes the umpire to look at the rules that pertain to how the answers go.

So, no I do not say, "What difference does it make?" in the casual, "the answer is the same" way that you imply. But I say, "Whatever way you flesh out the scenario, when you come to the rule(s) that apply, you will discover the call is the same, hence all alternatives have the same answer for this question." That implies the test taker had to do some thinking and considering... just what the test designers had in mind, I would guess.

From my perspective, the writer of this question deserves a "well done!"