View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Re: Calling OOB But Not FT Violations !?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by IdahoRef
After a night's rest, I wake up this morning and read a few posts and I must ask the question (please remember I'm just a new official seeking to be one who calls a good and fair game), if you do not call freethrow lane violations, then do you guys pass on calling some OOB violations?

I agree that there is no "advantage" having one's foot a 1/4 inch over the FT line. THEN do I no call when someone steps OOB by a 1/4 inch? (I see no advantage by a player getting away with this, but I have always called ALL OOB violations)

Am I making a mole hill a mountain?

I WANT NO PART in being a guy looking for the "letter of the law" violations. I want to serve both the kids, coaches, and parents and do a great job of officiating. ARE YOU GUYS TELLING ME ONE SHOULD NEVER CALL THIS VIOLATION? I appreciate you helping me get better. Thanks!
Well, I believe the original question has been a little twisted in the way that it was originally presented. The original scenerio was that the administering official delivers the ball to the free thow shooter who is over the line at that time and THEN backs up behind the line when the official calls a violation. (I would pass on that call) However, if after recieving the ball cleanly from the official and during the try for a goal he violates you must call that violation (50 percent of the time the opposing coach has a great vantage point.