Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: What about a sideline.

Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Varsity Game. A1 passes to A2 who does NOT control the pass (no one from the other team is pressing, they have fallen back into a zone in the front court). A2 gains control of the ball near the sideline (in front of the opponents bench) and steps ONTO the sideline. According to the posts I have heard here, this would be a NO CALL because no advantage was gained. Is this correct? And if not, how does this vary from the FT scenario?
Straw man.

The FT shooter received the ball and stepped over the line while he was NOT shooting.

If you can 't see the difference between that and an OOB call I have concerns about your future as an official.

I wouldn't call this a violation in a million years. It's booger picking and being overly officious and wouldn't win you any gold stars from supervisors or clinicians. And your partner would probably puke on your shoes, too.
Rich,

I see the difference. However, I'm trying to determine how subjective or objective I need to be on calls. It seems as if you are more subjective. Rules are there for us to be objective. I am trying to discern WHEN to be more subjective with my calls. A concern about subjective calling is not becoming too arbritrary with the calls. Calling OOB, FT violation, traveling in one situation and possibly letting it go in another to me could also jeopardize my future as a ref. Regardless, I am learning. Thanks for the input.
Most violations during play require no subjective thought. Travels are travels -- the problem with traveling is that many times traveling is called when it ISN'T traveling.

The only "live ball" violation I can think of that is very subjective in the real world is a 3 second violation. Few of these are called at higher level games -- I've called one all season (I work varsity level only).

Officiating, as you have noticed, is tough.

One thing that I still tell myself on the court is to let things come to me. Don't go looking to make calls. Fouls will come to you (and with a more relaxed attitude, you will pass on more and fit the adv/disadv philosophy better) and violations will happen. Don't go looking to be a "gotcha" official. Know the rules, yes, but think of the spirit of the rules. How does stepping over the FT line while not shooting violate the SPIRIT of the rule? Pass on things, but do it for the right reason.

And if a coach is screaming about this? Let him. Ignore him. The ball will be in play in another few seconds and he'll find something else to complain about. Or just stare at his pants.

Next week at this time my season will be over. Just when it's getting good.

--Rich