View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: What about a sideline.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by lmeadski
Varsity Game. A1 passes to A2 who does NOT control the pass (no one from the other team is pressing, they have fallen back into a zone in the front court). A2 gains control of the ball near the sideline (in front of the opponents bench) and steps ONTO the sideline. According to the posts I have heard here, this would be a NO CALL because no advantage was gained. Is this correct? And if not, how does this vary from the FT scenario?
Straw man.

The FT shooter received the ball and stepped over the line while he was NOT shooting.

If you can 't see the difference between that and an OOB call I have concerns about your future as an official.

I wouldn't call this a violation in a million years. It's booger picking and being overly officious and wouldn't win you any gold stars from supervisors or clinicians. And your partner would probably puke on your shoes, too.
Rich,

I see the difference. However, I'm trying to determine how subjective or objective I need to be on calls. It seems as if you are more subjective. Rules are there for us to be objective. I am trying to discern WHEN to be more subjective with my calls. A concern about subjective calling is not becoming too arbritrary with the calls. Calling OOB, FT violation, traveling in one situation and possibly letting it go in another to me could also jeopardize my future as a ref. Regardless, I am learning. Thanks for the input.