View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
But please don't the call the intentional foul just because you think a team if fouling to stop the clock. Call intentional fouls when a guy gets pushed to the floor or when a guy gets a hard shot from behind on a breakaway layup.
In the points of emphasis last year, there was a discussion of this, where it referred to the "strategic" foul. This is NOT an intention foul and should not be called as such. The difference is that the strategic foul is a legitimate attempt on the ball, and probably mostly looks like any other foul throughout the game -- an overzealous block, or a reach that doesn't work right, or such.

The "intentional" foul has the purpose of manipulating the rules rather than just overplaying. I've called intentional fouls early in the game that weren't very "excessive". The dribbler had inside position, and the defender was keeping up, but had no chance to legally stop the lay-up, so she reached across and whacked the non-dribbling arm of the dribbler. It was clearly a foul to take away the obvious advantage, and had no other purpose, although it was not late in the game and the defender's team was ahead. I called it intentional and the coach went -- well, I wont go into THAT -- but by rule I was right.

What I wish they would do is change the word "intentional" On a play that is excessive contact, the word intentional is kind of offensive, because usually the fouler is not hurting the other player "intentionally" but just being sloppy or unskilled. As a parent, I used to get my feathers ruffled when my daughteer or one of her teammates got called for intentional. It wasn't on purpose (except at the end of the game), they were just too rough.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how many HS refs could handle yet another category of foul. And I;'m pretty sure how many parents and fans could understand it...