View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2001, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
But please don't the call the intentional foul just because you think a team if fouling to stop the clock. Call intentional fouls when a guy gets pushed to the floor or when a guy gets a hard shot from behind on a breakaway layup. Now, a point was brought up about a player fouling a person without the ball in a rec game to stop the clock. I would totally agree that this should be an intentional foul because then the worst shooter can be picked out and fouled even when the are not involved in the play at all. In the NBA/WNBA we have a rule called away-from-the-play foul which handles this situations. I'm ready BasketballRef, I am sure you are ready to blast me once again. That's good though, I like that.
But again, here we go with not following the rule. There is almost a passing reference to too much force being used being considered an intentional foul, when it is clearly stated that the intentional foul is for a clock-stopping foul. When the coach and players are telling them to foul, and they do so, this is one of the situations that is covered to be called as an intentional. To say that we aren't supposed to call the intentional foul because we think someone is trying to stop the clock is completely contradictory to the rules. Another quote:

Quote:
Every team in America will foul to stop the clock when they are down towards the end of the game. Why penalize them extra for doing this?
Because this is exactly what the rule is designed for. EXACTLY - it is the first line in the rule...

"An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position, contact away from the ball when not playing the ball. It may or may not be premeditated and is NOT based on the severity of the act."

We're starting to veer away from the text of the rule and into the "well, this is just what they do, so we should let them do it" - it's not an extra penalty for a strategic move... it is a strategic move that is not allowed by the rules and carries an extra penalty. Since we are there to see that the rules are followed, we really don't have the right to say "Gee, I don't think they SHOULD be penalized extra for that" - The rules say they do, and so they do! You make a choice to foul intentionally to stop the clock, and tell your players to do so "FOUL FOUL FOUL!!!!", or tell the ref you're going to, or foul away from the ball, or make no reasonable attempt at the ball, and that carries an additional penalty.