View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
It is a foul in this sitch. almost every time. It is a huge advantage for the defense to reach/swing/swipe at the ball without penalty for contacting the arms.
A) The reaching itself is most definitely NOT a foul.

B) If the "poke-er" makes a little incidental contact, there's still nothing to call, just as you wouldn't call anything Just because they "reached in" from the front. I mean, you wouldn't, would you?

C) There's no advantage gained in this sitch, unless B1 gets the ball away from A1. If A1 reacts appropriately, and keeps control of the ball, where's the foul?

D) I agree that the defender doesn't have LGP in this sitch, but unless there's some pretty rough play, I've got nothing on B. Probably nothing on A.
a) we agree

b) we disagree, reaching-in with arm contact = foul.
A1 with ball, B1 reaches in from behind, A1 brings arm down next to his body, B1's hand/arm still fishing for the ball,
arm to arm contact at the least, foul and whistle, A1's arm now held tight against his body, incidental contact after foul unless flagrant.
Tell me what rule says A1 can't hold his arm against his own body if B1 has his arm between A1's arm and body.

B1 needs to complete his/her reaching before contact is made.

c) we disagree - do you say it is only a foul if the ball is knocked away when reaching? you don't call fouls on a reach when there is arm to arm or hand to arm contact? How is arm to arm contact incidental when reaching?

d) LGP has no bearing on this play, I mentioned it earlier as part of describing the play, but it has no effect. I have a foul on B1.