View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 22, 2006, 07:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by pforeferee
Had a player on defense with her back to me the other night. At the time, the player on offense, who was in front of her, was going for the ball. I see the girl on offense get stopped in her tracks. When she leans forward and almost falls, things open up and I see the offensive player's jersey is being held tight by the girl on defense.

I blow the whistle and call an intentional foul. Her coach starts whining about it being "just a hold" and their spectators go wild with boos and taunts.

Would anyone else have called this "just a hold"?
pforeferee,
I agree that a grabbed jersey can meet the description of an intentional foul (ie., away from the ball, no play on ball, neutralize an obvious advantage), but many fouls meet that criteria.

Some holds, pushes, blocks (screens), handchecks and hooks have those same characteristics. The fouler meant to perform those illegal actions. They are neither accidental, nor incidental.

But for me, I need to see, feel, and/or smell an additional pre-qualification, that is a total disregard for obtaining another foul.

An intentional foul, for me, requires a mental set, a physical movement, where the player is specifically indifferent to being caught in the act of fouling.
The intentional foul is not subtle, is not accidental, is not clever.

In your situation, I have a "Hold".
mick