Thread: Technical foul
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 21, 2006, 04:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
JR - double check my logic on this please...on a free throw, the ball becomes dead when the shot is made or it is obvious the shot will miss. So if (and it's an if since the OP didn't say) the first shot has gone thru or has bounced off the rim and isn't going in, then we can have a T for this elbow, correct? If this is a HS game, they can't be in there "for the block out" until the ball hits anyway, so we could have a T in this situation...
You're logic is almost flawless, as usual. Well, except for the sports teams you follow. We gotta do a little work with that(Lord knows). As you said above, if it's dead ball contact after the FT ends, then you most certainly could have either an intentional or a flagrant technical foul(but not a regular ol' "T"). The rules back that up too- as you well know.

Rule 4-19-5(c)- " A technical foul is an intentional or flagrant contact foul while the ball is dead".

However (you knew that there would be a "however", didn't you? ), the OP did say iirc. In the original post, dprice stated that it was "on shot and block-out attempt". Note- "on the shot"-- not "after the shot". I think that I referred to that way back in my first post; I was considering the ball "live" because of that verbiage.