View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
That might be the stupidest article I have ever read (and I have read many of Rollie's).

In case you missed it here is what it says:

Count is 3-2, batter leans into a curve ball. The umpire is unsure if the pitch would have been a strike or ball had it not hit the batter.

What to do when this happens:

Call time, tell batter to say in box.

Gather head coaches and umpires in a big circle.

Say to defensive coach "I can't call him out because the pitch wasn't in the strike zone, but it might have been without his unsportsmanlike act."

Say to offensive coach "I'm gonna let him remain as a batter, but if he ever pulls that stunt again in any game I'm umpiring, I will eject him without any warning.

Say to both coaches "That's my ruling. There's nothing in the book to cover it. So, smile, nod, and go back to your positions and let's play ball.

Return to the plate and signal 3-2, and say "Batter, never bull that stunt again."

There are other potenital outcomes such as giving the batter first base or ejecting him, but those are shot down as not being as good as the do over. The do over will be the call which is "most easily sold" according to the article. I think we may have found Rollie's long lost twin.
I think the gist of the article is that there are things that could happen that are not covered by the rules. If you read the article there are a number of alternatives that could have been applied.

The author simply gave his opinion on how he would have handled the situation. It is an interesting problem that is not addressed by the rules. A full count bases juiced an obvious ball when it struck the batter who leaned in to the pitch that may or may not have been a strike if it didn't hit the batter. Call it a ball and send the batter to first. Is that fair to the defense? Call it a strike (keep in mind it's an obvious ball) is that fair to the offense? I've got no rule to hang my hat on. Perhaps a "do over" is fair to both teams in this case. As UIC you do have the authority to make this type of ruling. I've called many a batter back after leaning in to a pitch but never on a 3-2 pitch as outlined in the case.

Championship game State Finals bottom of the seventh score tied. The above happens all the "Big Dogs" are in the stands what's your call?