View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eroe39
Basketball Ref, I appreciate your input and I like the way you cite your information from the casebook. I think of this play from the point of view of the rebounder, who jumps to get the rebound and while fading back if he contacted an opponent standing up then 99% of the time this would be an incidental play with no foul call. However, if he comes down on someone on the floor then he would most likely get his feet tangled up and fall to the floor. This is not right, in my opinion, to call a travel here and penalize the rebounder.
Then write to the rules committee and ask that the rule be changed to reflect your opinion.

Or, state in your answer that "the rule is "x", but I think it's a "bad rule." I'll still cal it as the NFHS wants it."

Quote:
Players lying on the floor is not part of the game of basketball. Likewise, players standing underneath the basket is not part of the game of basketball. I agree that your casebook citations support you, however, it is also in the college rule book/casebook that a player is allowed to draw a charge underneath the basket, but officials are taught by top college officials at camps and other places to call this a block.
That's (sort of) the men's rule only. The women's rule is that this is a block (or a no call). (The men's rule is that if the shot is good, then it should be a no-call. If the shot is missed *and* the defender is placed at a rebounding disadvantage, it should be a charge (not PC). Rarely would you see both items happen, so you'll rarely see a charge call.)

Quote:
Not everything should be taken literally from the rulebook. Rules are very important and I study them often, but we have to apply our own common sense as well. For example the rule book says we can call a 3 second violation while the ball is in team control, but not player control but obviously if the ball is rolling around and is loose we would use common sense and not call 3 seconds here.
THe latest women's NCAA memo makes a clear point on the difference between a "loose ball" and an "interrupted dribble" and says to call the 3-seconds during a loose ball. Since it's a POE in women's ball this year, I suspect you'll see some of it -- and you'll start to see it trickle down to the HS game.

BTW, if you use paragraphs in your posts, they'll be easier to read.