View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by MN BB Ref

Finally at the 2 minute mark prior to the game we are met by the local NBA team's mascot at mid-court. He wants us to huddle with him while he's explaining what he would like to do for entertainment tonite. Funny, I've seen this mascot performing for the past 17 years and this is the first time I've ever heard him talk. Anyway, he signals me to get on the court and I see no harm in it and he proceeds to act as if he's stretching out my hamstrings. This got a nice reaction from the crowd and we got quite a few smiles as we approached the table for team introduction and the national anthem.
Dave, sounds like you had a great game.

But (you knew that was coming, eh? ), I really don't think I would have let this entertainer dictate the rules of engagement for this game. If anything he should have come to you much earlier, explained what his act entails and asked if you have any problems with it. I think at least 2 ground rules should apply:

1. Stay completely away from the court during a live ball.

2. Absolutely no way, no how will the officials be part of his act. Rule 2 was violated before the tip.

Just my opinion, maybe others will chime in.
The way it was described, sounds like a bit of harmless fun to me. But I understand Dan's reservations, and also wonder about the "where do we draw the line" issue.

Many say such actions help humanize the refs and make them more a part of the "fun" of the event, but that always fades anyway - as soon as you make an unpopular call.