Thread: Partner Problem
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Doggone it!! I admit I reacted out of annoyance and it got me into trouble. I wouldn't have done it, though, if he hadn't been gonna give up the second shot as well! I actually huddled for that reason, and he wouldn't back down about his interpretation of the rule that if the shooter violates on the first shot, he loses the second one. I was sure this applies only to the one-and-one, and not two a two-shot situation. I got annoyed and just walked over to the table, and pulled this nasty little stunt. RATS!!
There's absolutely no problem with awarding the 2nd shot. You are the referee and this would be a misapplication of the rules, not a judgment call.

Quote:
Okay, so here was another problem, same game, where I had to make a Referee decision, and later I thought I blew it, but now I'm not sure. End of third quarter, seven seconds left, clock is stopped. A1 inbounds under B's basket, B presses, but A gets the ball downcourt no problem, but the defense is intense, finally the shot goes up, and in, but when Coach B (and everyone else) looks up, still seven seconds on the clock!! I had no problem with ruling that the quarter was over, but did the shot count? I reasoned that I had counted five in the back court and at least three twice in front court, so shot must have been late, and I ruled, no shot. But looking at the rule book, I'm not sure that was the correct call.
That's the R's call. I'm not sure that I would have done anything any differently, except pay more attention to the clock. But you need definite knowledge to rule that time should have expired. Perhaps the proper thing to do is to take 5 seconds off the clock, and give A the ball at the division line.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith