View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Balls-Strikes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SAump
"At what level do you refer to the count this way?"

My bad, your right again. I see the point: 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 and 4-0. I admit my responsibility to correct a known mistake. I will not try to defend myself with absurd analogies. I will try not to repeat the error for all to see, over and over again. I won't edit it to HIDE from people, nor will I delete the post. I will not turn your words around. Let it appear here so ALL may judge another mistake and PENALIZE accordingly, without namecalling.

"At what level do you remind the batter to take first base?"

I believe "after some delay" at any level. Do you have a problem with that too?

Yes, actually I do - in professional baseball, you would be laughed off the field. If you pulled this on an NCAA diamond, they would likely do the same. Veterean American Legion and High School Varisty umpires would treat this as a big no-no as well. Small ball is a good place to abandon this adventure in color commentary.

I teach too many clinic to know better. I've travelled throughout the region and know that OOOs have a lock on this sort of behavior. A few weeks ago I was teaching a clinic and one of the newbies said, "Ball Four, take your base." I asked him if he plans to say, "Strike Three, you're out." He sad no and I asked him why he thought he needed to give instruction to a 12 year old player. He said that he grew up hearing it that way. Maybe you were working his games?

I broke him of that habit and from holding his thumb out when he called outs. I couldn't bear to think that they can't say the count correctly, but every newbie knew the right way. Maybe you can attend one of my classes next week. I won't embarass you anymore than everyone else does here. I'll even let you sit in the front when we teach the part about batter interference. That way you won't make the same mistake on the field that you did on this board.