View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Re: Wait right there.

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
Other officials disagree with my application of the rule and ALLOW the toying to continue throughout the ballgame. Some incorrectly believe the coaches actions are justified by rule and that us UMPIRES should not have a positive impact on the GAME. This certainly does not HELP anyone and ONLY makes the situation WORSE for the next guy.
Those who disagree with your position provide support from the rule book. Your point is that switching back and forth is unsportsmanlike. I don't have a problem with your interpretation, in that all unsportsmanlike conduct is not described. I don't agree with you, but it is a judgment call. However, I believe that you need to understand that it is judgment. You are entitled to yours, but should grant your detractors the same right. When you say, "Some incorrectly believe the coaches actions are justified by rule and that us UMPIRES should not have a positive impact on the GAME," you go to far. Some exercise different judgment than you, but that does not make it incorrect judgment. You could make your point better by simply taking the word "incorrect" out of that sentence.

Similary, calling others wimps and dimwits is inappropriate. If your level of frustration rises to where you need to make personal attacks on a public board, please try to remember that your comments are read by others, and you offend more than the few you intend to offend. Thanks.

Mike