View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

If you're an 8th grade coach, you have to accept that your kids are still working on the foundation, and that they aren't going to win a lot of games. But if they are learning how to dribble, to shoot, to screen, to use a screen, to block, and also how to learn, your kids will be the winners in the long run.
I agree with your premise and think this might be the first layer of the problem. However, it's not so much just the coaches accepting it. Will the kids and parents be patient and supportive as well?

About 10 years ago I used a "my way or the highway approach" from day one (without being a huge jerk about it) and there was little or no attrition. Now, as a high school coach, I feel like I have to do a lot more sales work, amateur psychology and let the kids gain a little firsthand experience before I can really demand they become players, or they will just quit. Early in the season, it is enough that my players get to the right spot on offense and defense, and later I demand that it all get done right and with intensity. Once I get a program built, I hope I can essentially reverse this.

This is not coming from someone who doesn't believe in teaching fundamentals, doesn't know how, or thinks you can win consistently without them - I just know when I'm spending my time pounding sand down a rat hole. I think it's similar with 8th grade ball - if they are bored and losing they hit the road.

[Edited by bebanovich on Feb 19th, 2006 at 01:17 AM]