Thread: Coach/referees
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

BK, I agree with you 100%. Though budget seems to be an issue we all struggle with, I KNOW that the results of having qualified officials (in all sports) has a positive effect on the entire program. I run the youth basketball league in my town, also. It is run by a local "Athletic Assoc." whow sponsors the bulk of the cost for us. When I took over the program a few years ago, one thing I insisted on was that we use (and pay for) board officials. Other sports (soccer, baseball..) all usually have paid refs/umps and some are not certified! Why not hoops! I also educated the coaches and parents with my "misunderstood basketball rules" handout (which I am trying to put together to post on here). I noticed the players started to learn to play better by not fouling, reaching, swatting at shots, grabbing... When we have played other towns on occasion, I could tell which ones had used board officials and which had not. I know we're lucky to have a "sponsor" to defray the costs. Even if you have one certified ref for the younger kids (and I'll use someone else who is in training/volunteer), it can make a world of difference. Find a sponsor, or sponsors, and you can make the programs better. I'd love to hear from more of you guys/gals on tips, rules, etc. that you use in your programs (i.e no pressing at certain ages, no three pointers, smaller ball...)Always looking to improve!