View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wait right there.

"Originally posted by SAump
BigUmp56,
You might as well just eject the defensive manager before the pow-wow and save time. It's an eventuality anyway if you pull this stuff. What ever happened to ring him up and set him down?"

NOW BIGump, I think I said that too. END OF SENTENCE. Read my comments on how to handle entire situation -> restrict to dugout or eject. That will leave any of us feeling like a very OOO afterwards.

Other officials disagree with my application of the rule and ALLOW the toying to continue throughout the ballgame. Some incorrectly believe the coaches actions are justified by rule and that us UMPIRES should not have a positive impact on the GAME. This certainly does not HELP anyone and ONLY makes the situation WORSE for the next guy.

The plate conference was about sportsmanship, safety and proper equipment. I rule on fair play, unsafe or unruly behavior, and illegal equipment. I am responsible for what happens on the field. If it reflects badly on or off the field, then the COACHES and I should take some responsibility. They have an obligation to PUT an END to it. Even the NCAA restricts a coaches actions in this type of situation.

Now before I have answer all those other ??? Please respond to how multiple batters toying with opposing pitcher through 3 half-innings of baseball equates to ONE BATTER switching places in a batters box during ONE at-bat?