Thread: Partner Problem
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 10, 2001, 06:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
First free throw of two. I'm trail. Shot goes up, shooter leans... way... over... but doesn't actually step until the ball is pretty much in the net. Partner (on lead, remember) blows whistle, waves off the basket, and starts to give the ball to the other team. I tweet, we huddle, we disagree, but I'm the Referee, he's the umpire, so I go to the table and say, (both coaches hear me) "The basket is good, he didn't step over until the ball was in." The defending coach says, "You can't overrule him!!" I say, "Coach, I didn't overrule him. We disagreed about the call, I'm the Head Ref, and I have to decide." He didn't like it but he sat down and didn't complain any more.

Did I handle this correctly?
WOW!Rainmaker,unfortunately you cannot overrule your partner in this case.That's rule 2-6 and it doesn't matter if you are the referee or not.If he insists it's a violation,you gotta go along with it.It's not a correctable error,either.It's absolutely unbelievable that this clown made the call from "lead" though.That's your call,your judgement.There are 2 things that you should do,though,after the game.They are(1)report him to your association(2)neuter him.The order you want to do this in is your choice.Hopefully,your association or assignor will have a good long talk with this guy and straighten him out.Maybe he'll listen to somebody and not pull anything like that again.