Thread: Coach/referees
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I've either run or assisted the Jr basketball Pgm in Bogota NJ for 10 years now. We have always used Coaches to Referee. It used to work well in the past. But the last few years, have been hard. It's hard enough to get coaches these days. Some know the game, others are doing the best they can. You scare some off when they hear they have to officiate. Plus some don't mind coaching and spending an hour or so in the gym, but now you're asking them to double the time they are up there. Lately we tried kids 13 -15 years old who need to perform community service (for school/church). These kids are willing, but because of schoolwork or other committments, are not real dependable. I am looking at increasing the fee (which currently is only $20) by $10 or so next year
and get at least 1 official per game. The age group is 8-12 year olds. I will have to run this by the Recreation Commission who set the rates for the sports in our town. I hope this help you. My final comment to you is Times are changing. The same people are the ones who Coach every sport. They get burned out, and without new help, the kids and the administrators are the ones who will suffer.
GOOD LUCK !!!

[This message has been edited by DrC. (edited February 17, 2000).]