View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: Wait right there,

Quote:
Originally posted by SAump
If the coach doesn't stop within reason, I would ask the coach to send for the field or tournament director. The third time it happened after my warning, I would call time and consult with the tournament director. I would ask that the coach be restricted to the dugout for refusing to take heed of my request to stop. I would ask him to place another adult at third base to coach the baserunners. If the coach gets out of line, I would eject immediately. I really don't need him there with a bad attitude.

I am there to witness a baseball game, and not these shinanigans. Its not my responsibility to control the crowd, and I can't have a coach enticing the fans to bait the poor pitcher or the fans of the losing team. I would also request that the tournament director talk to the losing coach and a parent during the game. With this suppport, I would write a letter to the commish detailing the events that took place and the coach's refusal to grant my request. Without his support, I would probably just change clothes and go HOME and forget about it.

Just MOHO.
Umpires are required to enforce the rules. But if you require support from TDs and/or coaches, you're looking for rouble. When you practice good game mgt. skills you enforce rather than cooperate. You tell them how it's going to be. But when you do it with your own sense of fair play, instead of within the rules, it breaks down. You can lose control of the game and never get it back.

Writing a letter to a commissioner really seems OOO. The only thing you should ever write is a short and sweet EJ report, if needed. Our impact should be on the field, not off. The only place this might be OK is in a volunteer setting where you are part of the orgnization, and the concept is more social than competitive.

Mike