Thread: 27 Inches...
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Saw a post on Ezteams re black lines.. and remembered this occurance at my ASA Mechanics and Rules thingy a little while back...

27 inches.. thats the strike zone...

4 in for ball .. L/R = 8
+
1 inch per black line X 2 =2
+
17 inches for the plate.. == 27 Inches wide

I remember smiling to myself thinking.. ole Irishmike would be going into cardiac arrest.

Thoughts on the 27 inch strike zone being taught by ASA's elite umpire squardran? Oh and the umpire teaching that WAS ASA elite...literally. Even had the cute little hat and everything.

The elite ump promised all the way through D1 college calling a 27 inch wide zone keeps everyone happy.

Good class though.. but thought I'd toss this out there for response

[Edited by wadeintothem on Feb 16th, 2006 at 03:06 PM]
Yep, I've been teaching this for years. You call anything that touches the black lines.

Please note: The 27" isn't the width of the strike zone, but the size of the window a ball may pass through and still be a strike.

Meanwhile, you have guys who insist the entire ball pass through the strike zone. Those are the guys who will not be my partner.
hmm maybe i have you confused with someone else, i thought a pet peeve of yours was considering the black part of the plate. Apparently its not you...