View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 11:08am
Esteemed Participant

I think one of the biggest problems I have seen with officials using the A/D principle is a lack of understanding what and advantage or disadvantage is...in the scenario described, there most certainly was an advantage gained by the defender causing contact with the ball-handler. The comment by the official shows that he really doesn't have a good grasp of the A/D principle. Too many people think that it is the amount of contact or severity of contact that creates an A/D...not true. I love the concept that came out of the NBA os S/B/Q/R - speed, balance, quickness, rythmn...if the contact affects any of those things, an advantage has been gained and there should be a whistle. And that applies to both offensive and defensive players - the offensive player can certainly affect the SBQR of the defender also...

Altho it pains me greatly to mention this (now that my hypno-therapy has worn off), a perfect example of the A/D principle would be the Offensive Pass Interference call against the Seahwks in the Sloppy Bowl - err, I mean Super Bowl. Not much contact, but it certainly created an advantage for the Seattle receiver and put the Pittsburgh defender at a huge disadvantage...the official saw that and correctly threw the flag (it took me a few days to be able to admit this, but the 12 step plan is working for me)...in my mind that is absolutely the BEST Advantage/Disadvantage call I have seen in any sport in years...