View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
When the players is bumped and then goes out of bounds the official should always call something in favor of the team with the ball. By rule it should be the foul, but I have seen it just be called an OOB with team A still receiving the ball. One D1 official called it a force out. Why this would be called wrong is that a lot of officials are not watching the defense as taught and is only watching the ball. The ball went OOB. Tournover. Bad call.
I agree with Tim. As a newer official working the young rec ball leagues, I allowed the ball to stay with the team that caused the ball to go out of bounds due to a bump. As I started to work games with the "older" kids, an official quickly pointed out my flawed thinking. I recall him telling me not to play with OOB lines and call the foul. Obviously the bump was a disadvantage as it caused A-1 to go out of bounds.

I find that the principle of using advantage/disadvantage when calling fouls, can sometimes get you introuble. A "reach" with minor contact and no obvious disadvantage (player maintains control) may not earn a whistle. I recall however, that sometimes offensive players may actually benefit from the no call. There were instances where they were able to get a head and shoulders past their defender, and go in for an uncontested lay up. I also recall a coach complaining about "no calls" toward the end of a game (same situation - no advantage/disadvantage). He passed a remark that if the calls were made, he'd be able to put his non-starters in the game (the foul shots would have given him a comfortable edge in scoring to allow him to do so). We had been consistent in calling the same game all night. Go figure!

As far as Rut's comment concerning "patient" whistles, I too prescribe to that method. Unfortunately, I used it in a bad situation. This was during a varsity game with two schools that both had 1-7 records. The game was competitive as they were evenly matched. With 39 seconds left and team A up by 3 points, they took a shot at their basket. As the rebound came off the rim, a B player was in perfect position to secure the rebound. In comes an A player jumping over his back (contact made) and tapping the ball backwards. Why I would use a patient whistle here is beyond me! I waited, what admittedly was a second or two, that felt as if it were ten. The ball went to a team A player and "tweet." The coach went nuts. I reported and allowed him to momentarily vent. I told him the whistle was late, however, it was the right call. Naturally he didn't care if the call was right. What made it worse, was the fact that his team only had three fouls to the other team's eight. Anyway to make a long post shorter, team B hits a three and ties the game. Team B then steals the inbound pass. No, they didn't win. Team A had many fouls to give and did. They won in overtime.

The whole point of the story, is that a patient whistle must be used under the right circumstances. The above wasn't one of them.