View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the premise of advantage/disadvantage. Recently I have heard many refs making calls, or not making them, based on advantage/disadvantage alone. Real life example: A1 is dribbling up sideline to break a press. B1 is running along side but is taking an angle that bumps A1 enough off her line, that if she would continue to run/dribble, momentum would take her out of bounds. She was on a perfect parallel line to sideline before the "minor" bump. The coach yelled, "no call?" and the ref said, "did she gain advantage coach?", implying he thought the defender had not gained advantage by the bump. However, it appeared to me that the bump gave her advantage as it forced A1 to pull up her dribble or go out of bounds (should she have contiued out of bounds to try to draw the call but then risk a turnover?). Does the advantage/disadvantage put us in an "disadvantageous" spot by ignoring contact we might normally call but focus on whether or not advantage was gained? Are there times when we should dispense with adv/disadv? Are there times when using adv/disadv is imperative to making the right call?