View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2001, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Asthmatic players have always been an "issue" on my teams - can't remember the last time I coached a team here in MD without one asthmatic player. Each of my parents with asthmatic children has let me know(and if they don't, it's easy to spot as a coach!), and each of these kids knows what to do when they get in a bad way and they often ask to come out. I also look for it, to get them out, hit the inhaler, then get them back in if they can. I don't see this as a ref issue unless it is so obvious that you can't miss it and the coach isn't doing anything. for the coach to criticize you tells me the coach was unaware to begin with, and is now shifting the blame. Coaches, after many practices and games, know their asthmatic players and the signs that it is becoming a problem, much more than you will. Wile you remain responsible for game safety, I think the coach needs to step up here first if he/she is really concerned about the kids.

My bet is that a kid got beat because they were wheezing and the coach blamed you! In that case, not your fault, and not necessarily an immediate risk to the player.