View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 09, 2001, 01:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

In all my years, I don't think I've ever called a player control foul for holding. But my son (Josh) had that call in a freshman boys game today. Here's what happened:

Long rebound out above the 3 point line bounces high in the air after hitting the court. A1 and B1 both have an equal chance to jump and get the ball. They both go straight up. B1 taps the ball and A1 gets one hand on it. As they come down, A1 grabs the ball with his other hand, which came around B1's arm and pressed it to his (A1's) side. A1 came down and then pivoted while pressing B1's arm against his side and yanked B1 off his feet. My son made the call.

At first, coach A thought the foul was on B1, but then saw the signal for PC and jumped up and down. As my son reported it, coach A turned to his bench and yelled, "That's the worst call we'll see all year." BANG!

When Josh called me later and told me what happened, I asked him if there was a time before the foul that both players were touching the ball at the same time. He said no, or else he would have called the jump. He said at first he thought of calling the hold on B1, since his arm was inside of A1's arms, but he thought B1 went straight up with his arm and didn't reach in at all.

I guess this in one of those "ya' had to be there" situations, but it sounded to me like it was the correct call - especially the T (like father, like son, I guess)

BTW - at the time (late 2nd Q) it was a two point game, but from that point on, B went nuts and won by over 25.

Comments?