View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415

Just so I understand, if the catcher missed the tag, but the runner went passed the base without touching it, then the catcher would only have to say something like 'The runner missed the base' and we would count that as a live ball appeal and give the out. [/B]
No, but this is a call where there is more than just a simple ruling.

This involves mechanics, astute judgment and knowledge of the rules that just cannot be learned on a message board, but I'll try.

Speaking ASA

In the scenario above, as the umpire, I observe the play and hesitate, by design. If the catcher immediately goes after the runner and/or the runner immediately reacts and attempts to return to the plate, I allow the play to continue and make the appropriate ruling.

If neither player reacts in the manner described above, I give a crisp safe call with the signal. At that point, if the defender with the ball touches the plate or tags the runner (prior to the runner touching the plate) after or during the live ball appeal, then the runner is ruled out on the live ball appeal. A live ball appeal requires action on behalf of the defense, not just a verbal request.

If there are other runners, and there is no longer any obvious play, time is called or the defense can request time. Once the ball is dead, the runner may return and touch the plate as long as they have not entered DBT. As the umpire, you must allow this to happen before accepting the appeal should the runner do this simultaneously with a pending appeal. If any defender in the infield requests a dead ball appeal and the runner is in DBT or has made no effort to return to touch the plate, I would accept the appeal and rule the runner out for missing the plate.

Hope that helps.