Thread: Possesion
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 10:35am
In Memoriam

Re: ok now for the real situation

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
A1 is inbounding the ball near midcourt. The ball is thrown "to " A2. A2 jumps from the front court, catches the ball and lands in the backcourt. I say we have a backcourt violation. The following reasons lead me to my conclusion. First in order to be a backcourt violation, A has to have possesion in the front court, an a player being the last to touch it in the front court before it goes to backcourt and be the first to touch it in the backcourt.

A2 establishes player control upon catching the ball. A2 is in the front court because he is where he was until he gets where he is going. A has team control in the front court due to A2's possesion. A2 is obviously the last to touch the ball in the front court. A2 now lands in backcourt, the ball in hand. The ball is now in the backcourt where A2 is obviously the first to touch it. In my little world (I admit it is tiny), this is a backcourt violation?? Comments?? The reason for the thread is a discussion at our meeting last night.
I think that someone at your meeting shoulda read NFHS rule 9-9-3. You're wrong as per that rule.