View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
[/B]
I think this coach had earned his T and had it coming -- but my question is more general: Do you think it is inappropriate or unwise, as a general matter, to give a coach one last chance to avoid the T?

[/B][/QUOTE]Nope, I certainly do not think that it's inappropriate or unwise to try something to see if you can avoid a "T". I do think though that you have to handle each individual situation pretty much on it's own merits- and then do what you gotta do. Iow, there's no hard-and-fast procedure to follow to determine when you should or should not call a "T". In this particular case, the coach spent his whole 30-second substitution period yapping at the official. He deserved to be "T"ed up as soon as he didn't get a sub to the table by 30 seconds. On other occasions, maybe you can slip a "hurry up" in if the coach is just a little too involved giving instructions to his substitute/team and thus is a little slow getting a sub to the table.

In this particular game, I think that your partner did the absolutely right thing by issuing the "T"- I'm certainly not second-guessing him. I was just pointing out for general reference that a warning isn't necessary, by rule. Actually, the only hard part of giving out that "T" is trying to keep a grin off your face while you're doing so.