View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Officials are human. We make mistakes, no matter what sport we're talking about. Look at other sports where the officials are "full-time", baseball, and I think basketball. Do these individuals make mistakes? Last time I checked they did.

I think the problem lies with the media. They are so quick to roast the officials, everything is the officials fault, we had it in for them, we lost so-and-so the game, b**lsh*t. Media personnel have zero understanding and knowledge about the rules, mechanics, and responsibilities of the officials. They throw the stripes under the bus the first chance they get. All the while, this fuels the fire of ignorance of the common fan. Most fans don't know the rules. Heck, most HS and many college officials don't know all of the NFL rules.

Full-time isn't the answer. I think better understanding from fans and the media is a great place to start, but I also feel that the league should step up and offer an explanation of these calls. Maybe that would open up an even bigger can of worms but I feel it would hush some of the ignorance surrounding the entire event.