View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

The problem with the original post is that the instructors were AAA umpires. Things are very different in the Minors (as in MLB). Many of the "understood" things that they do just do not fit with the games us "Charlie’s" do. The knowledge that they offer can't be beat but caution needs to be exerted with what they say.

That said, I also agree that I have all to do to call a FAIR game. In order to do that, I cannot give breaks or let things go. I've always stated that if I call a balk, it's because the blind guy in the 15th row screamed it first! To me balks are like outs, if I see it, I'm calling it!

I also agree with not injecting myself into the game. I am no longer a coach or a player so I have only one job on the field and that is to officiate. In lighter moments, I've discussed plays and situations with players and coaches but when the ball is live, it's all business. Many may not agree but simply put, when I go home, I go home with myself and that person is the worst critic that I know!