Thread: Two fouls
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 05, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
I don't think this definition fits. Both fouls were by players on the same team.
Sorry, I misread the original post and thought the second foul was by a teammate of the shooter. Therefore, disregard my first post in this thread.

That means BZ is correct on the type of foul.
It is a false multiple foul.

4-19-12 . . . A false multiple foul is a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

However, the penalty is a bit strange for this play. We have the following two rules:

RULE 8, SECTION 7 PENALTY-ADMINISTRATION SEQUENCE
Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred.

RULE 10 penalty summary
7. In case of a false double foul or a false multiple foul, each foul carries its own penalty.

So it seems that the officials would have to determine which foul occurred first. A quick note, both fouls must be penalized on this play as both were committed during a live ball (or on an airborne shooter), since a try was in flight. So from that perspective it doesn't matter which occurred first, both will still be charged and penalized.

Now the two choices for resuming the game:
1. The off-ball foul occurs second: Clear the lane shoot the one FT the shooter is entitled to and then award A2 the bonus with players along the lane and continue as normal. (The scoring team would be awarded the ball OOB at the spot nearest the off-ball foul if the bonus did not apply.)
2. The off-ball foul occurs first: (This is the one that I am not sure about and this is strange.) The rules seem to dictate that the off-ball foul would be charged, bonus would be awarded to A2 with the lane cleared, but the game would then resume with players along the lane for the shooter's single FT and then continue as normal from the result of the FT. However, where I have doubt is what if the bonus is not due? The penalty for the off-ball foul seems to disappear as the scoring team would not be awarded a throw-in. So penalizing as in part 1 is not without merit here.