View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy
Quick late season teaser... and I bet todays partner a game check on the answers.

1) T/F: 5 second count on the throw in. The player has 5 seconds to RELEASE the ball.

2) T/F: Ten second backcourt count. The team has 10 seconds to have the team control ESTABLISHED in front count.

3) T/F: Free throw shooter has 10 seconds to HIT THE RIM (or make it) with the ball

4) T/F: Coach with a T has the seat belt rule. That coach CANNOT stand during free throws, throw ins or other events even though the clock is not running.

5) T/F You cannot start a game without 1 timekeeper and 1 scorekeeper.

6) T/F the teams coach must be an adult

(Assume NFHS)

Does the English language term 'within' include the endpoints?

That is to say, when we say 'within 5 seconds', do we mean 'at any time, howsoever close, but before we get to 5'? Or do we mean 'at any time, howsoever close, including 5'?

1. ? On a throw-in, the ball must be released within 5 seconds.

2. False. Team A may not be in continuous control of a ball which is in the backcourt (has backcourt location) for 10 seconds.

3. ? On a free throw, the ball must be released within 10 seconds.

4. True. The belted coach can only stand during charged time-outs and to request service from the table, or to remove players from the game . . . I think.

5. Glug.

6. Where I officiate, for high school contests, not only must it be an adult, by state regulation, it must be an adult authorized by the principal or athletic director or their authorized surrogate.