View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timasdf
I am hoping that there is a line in the rule book that states that the home administration is responsible for providing the home scorer. I believe that it is noted in the rule book, but do not have one readily available. :-(
No, there's nothing in the rule book that specifies who provides the scorer. The 2000-2002 Handbook, p. 47 addresses table officials but simply says, "Fequently, the responsibility for securing the bench officials is placed upon the coach." The 2001-2003 Officials Manuals, p. 87, gives game administration guidleines on who to recruit and how to train table officials. But that really isn't the issue, is it? Are we looking for someone to place the fault on or what?

No matter who provides the scorer, it's the referee's responsibility to insure that the scorer and timer understand their job responsibilities. I always ask the scorer and the timer if they've ever done this before. If the answer is no, then that's a red flag. Proper instruction should be given and you should check with them during the game to insure that they're performing as required. There's no excuse for this happening.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith