View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
Blind Zebra, You are wrong. You see it all the time. An official might a call a foul in the last minute of the game that he/she wouldn't call in the first 31 minutes because he/she knows the losing team is trying to force free throws and thereby rebounding opportunities and to try to prevent harder fouls.

We often look for advantage/disadvantage. Maybe a foul could be called but with no advantage we let it go. As I have seen in this forum often, and is repeated many times in local and state meetings, to paraphrase, we have to combine the rules with common sense and a sense of fair play. Though I know many disagree, and perhaps that's another argument, we have to decide when and how the rules, as written, apply.
mcdanrd,

You say to use "common sense and a sense of fair play," and that's correct. However, I think you are only trying to be "fair" to the free throw shooting team and not the team that hit the game winner. You are taking the game winner away by cancelling activity during a correctable error.

Let's change the situation slightly; what if there were 10 seconds on the clock and the team comes down court, sets a play and hits the three then, do you change your opinion?

What if it were 20 seconds, 1 minute, etc?

I think you are ONLY looking at the free throwers as being harmed, when it was both teams that suffered as a result of the error.