View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
It seems to me that if A1 just dropped the ball while passing, he would be able to recover it, but not dribble again, while if there was an actual pass, someone other than him should be able to beat him to the ball or it would go out of bounds.
There'sa difference between dropping the ball, fumbling the ball and passing the ball (and then, in each case, retrieving the ball).

Dropping and Passing are intentional acts -- recovering the ball is a dribble (assuming the ball hits the floor).

Fumbling the ball is an Accidental act -- recovering the ball is always legal.
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
It seems to me that if A1 just dropped the ball while passing, he would be able to recover it, but not dribble again, while if there was an actual pass, someone other than him should be able to beat him to the ball or it would go out of bounds.
There's a difference between dropping the ball, fumbling the ball and passing the ball (and then, in each case, retrieving the ball).

Dropping and Passing are intentional acts -- recovering the ball is a dribble (assuming the ball hits the floor).

Fumbling the ball is an Accidental act -- recovering the ball is always legal.
Bob: Fed 4-21 defines a fumble as: " . . . accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp." It includes 'drops', and that has always puzzled and concerned me.

I have an alternative definition to propose: accidental failure to attain player control of the ball when receiving a pass or maintain player control when ending a dribble.

Admittedly, this is far more directed definition - but I think it covers the circumstances that should be covered and eschews those that shouldn't.

Consider this situation: A1, holding the ball and having not dribbled, is being closely guarded by B1. Leaning to avoid the pressure, A1 unintentionally drops the ball on the floor and immediately picks it up. Has A1 fumbled or dribbled? Under 4-21, this could be a fumble, could it not? But that would penalize the defense, protect the offense from its own poor play.

And this situation: A1 attempts to end her dribble in one motion by grasping and passing the ball to a teammate. In the official's judgement, she controls the ball but then loses control and flubs the pass. My definition makes it explicit that a flubbed pass is not a fumble. 4-21, at best, only implies that.

I'll be back. I'm going to put on my protective headgear. (I know, illegal equipment . . .)