View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
The juggling one is correct. It's the culmination of a series of unfortunate events.

Now, my question is this. Let's change the situation here slightly, and say that team B ran the clock down all the way before missing a shot as the buzzer sounded. This is the first dead ball after the correctable error occurred. Can we now grant team A the free throws to avoid overtime?
This is actually a very troublesome question. There seems to be a gray area in the rules here.

I don't think it's so grey (but I don't have my books with me to check the wording).

IF a foul occurs *after* the 4th quarter is over, then it's shot as part of the 4th quarter only if it will determine whether the game will go to OT. IF the game is tied and the foul occurs *after* the 4th quarter has ended, then the shots occur as the beginning of the OT.

In the OP, the foul occurred during the 4th quarter, so it must be shot during the 4th quarter -- no foul or penalty shall carry over ...; A quarter ends when all fouls and related activity have been completed ...

Suppose that, in a tie game, the foul occurs just as (just prior to) the horn sounds. Even though time has expired, we'd still shoot the FTs. I think the original play is much like this.