View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
The juggling one is correct. It's the culmination of a series of unfortunate events.

Now, my question is this. Let's change the situation here slightly, and say that team B ran the clock down all the way before missing a shot as the buzzer sounded. This is the first dead ball after the correctable error occurred. Can we now grant team A the free throws to avoid overtime?
This is actually a very troublesome question. There seems to be a gray area in the rules here.

There is no doubt that it is proper to award the merited FTs even after time has expired in the 4th quarter, since this is still within the timeframe for correcting the error.

The problem that I have is I'm not clear on the need for the extra period.
Personally, I believe that the extra period is played no matter what the result of the FTs because the 4th quarter ended with the score tied. Had it ended with the nonshooting team being ahead by 1 or 2, the FTs would be attempted and considered part of the 4th quarter.
Yet since the quarter did indeed end and now we are correcting an error during that dead ball after the 4th quarter is over, I believe that the OT could start with the score not tied in this case.

Sounds crazy.

The above ruling would seem to apply if a change is made in the value of a shot at this time. 2 to 3 or 3 to 2. Odd and I'd like to see something from the NFHS.