View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
way to step it up!!

Way to step it up, (RC) robertclasalle! 4-Real!

IMO, that's the very reason You Were On that Game. And, as opportunity arose, you 'stepped it up, when you needed to.' ..not only is it great officiating, but great to know that you noticed that that's what it took to take care of that ballgame. ..ending in OT? ahhh, couldn't get much better, right? ..as sitch's came on, YOU dealt w/ them. ..i think that (it's good-partnering) letting your P have his T. We all need the Pard...thankgod, for me in many many of my games.

A patient T doesn't always have to be a late T.
If the (teamB) coach's reaction is THAT blatant, moronic, stupid, un-called4, unneeded (wutever), The trying to gain ADV or to influence officiating, none the less to influence the official is mostly beside the point, just becuz of his physical tyrade. it's destracting, slows the game down--stops the game. wow, that's the most obvious one to T-up, right? meaning, you can't go wrong w/ that action. ..as had been mentioned by TEXAS Aggie who tossed the waterbottle kid, I'd a tossed the coach too! (maybe, who knows or cares) But if you'd had to toss the coach, there's underlyingly written a rule that "a coach's 2nd T--oughta be your P's t, if you'd t'd him first."

But if ur P won't/can't/didn't see? You can. You gotta. You have discression and judgment to help you manage the game. Well done. You were uncertain about the admin-side w/ the coach not wanting/knowing about sitting down. You sound like you felt comfortable w/ addressing the coach, asking him to sit, etc--Was it comfortable, 2nd nature, instinctual, easy-to-do?? Then great! Awesome! --you've arrived, RC. congrats! keep it up. Many P's encourage help, need help, need leadership, or need reminding. Your skills, your philosophy, your style, your ability--All that practice you're getting on Frosh/JV games paid off, right? IMO, what P wouldn't want that type of "attack-of the game," if you will, in his/her P. I mean, as long as you're getting 'em right and getting it done.

So, if you pass (long enough) to see your P isn't gonna T--then you do. But, let ur P have his reward, his dues...know, what I mean? IMO, if you had taken a T from up in front of my sitch, before you had given me a chance to take it, I would wanna talk about it. Mentioning it in a postgame, during a deadball or during a t.o. so that we can share our 'side of the story, so we both learn from the sitch. If I'da just not seen it or missed it, I'd wanna know, ya know? W/ further communication we'd be that much better on our next game together, we'd be that much more on the same page. hopefully, I'da seen it and been right there to help (rescue)--not to take it from you. (BTW, that coach's "he was in shock" reaction, as you wrote-it, is only an antic. he's trying to intimidate and/or discredit his actions. (or he's just plain messing w/ ya) I'd expect (or respect) that that coach knows that rule, right?

U R perfectly legit to admin 'the seat-belt rule' to him. don't back down either. you may be finding that the guys working those (varsity) games, may not have really been doing things as you thought they were. (It may not just be admin-ing T's, but rules-knowledge, management-skills, court coverage changes, etc etc.) On the contrary side of this, I'd bet that most or ur future partners and in many games, you'll get to work w/ very good officials (whether they are veterans, just plain 'know the game,' have been around forever, have had very good and lots of experience, or are 'just a damn good refs.' be a sponge, learn all you want, learn all you can. Ask, watch, follow, Listen, and continually ask for feedback, assistance in inproving. You'll be needed more, as you start to get some of these games. try to stay-up on the rules, keep polishing yourself. be ready like you were on this one. Way to step it up! congrats, RC.

Know that a good P would've been there w/ you. It also sounds as though your patient whistle (to not 2nd T-him) was a right decision, good decision.

goodluck.