View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by TussAgee11

I know in order for there to be a back court violation, the ball and both players feet must be in the front court, in contact with the floor, and then one of those things must return to the back court, in contact with the floor.
That's not quite right. The "three points rule" (ball and both feet in the frontcourt) only applies when a player is dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt and only tells you when the player (and therefore the ball) has frontcourt status.

Quote:

Well I had a ref, who was certified, tell me that if Player A is in established front court position, passes the ball along the half court line (say 2 feet in front), Player B leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in midair in the front court, and lands in the front court, it is back court.
Using NCAA rules:

If A1 attempts a pass from anywhere on the court, then B1 jumps from B's backcourt, intercepts the pass, and lands in B's frontcourt, it is not a backcourt violation. This is because the rules say explicitly that this is not a backcourt violation.

However, if B2 attempts a pass from B's frontcourt, then B1 jumps from B's backcourt, catches the pass, and lands in B's frontcourt, it is a backcourt violation.

That's because the ball attains backcourt status as soon as B1 catches the ball, then frontcourt status again when he/she lands.

Quote:

The ball never broke the plane of the center line. What's the call? And lets say it did break the plane? Does that change anything.

My understanding is in situation A, where the ball doesn't cross that plane, no backcourt. If it does cross that plane (and touches an airborne player coming from the backcourt), backcourt is the proper call.

A ball in the air retains its frontcourt/backcourt status until it touches something else. What part of the floor it is over has nothing to do with anything.