Thread: Back Court
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

7-5-5; 4-19-7 New - Changed the penalty to a throw-in for a team-control foul in all cases. A new definition for a team-control foul was also added.

The change in penalty makes it important that official(s) know whether team control exists when a foul occurs. Thus, imho, knowing the defintion of team control has become more significant this season. Team control is the key to the play described in previous posts.

Here's an example that happened last night where knowing the team control rule also mattered. NFHS game with 3-person crew:
Team A in control in front court in my primary area as T. A1 rises to shoot and L sounds whistle as ball is released and heads toward basket. L has foul on A2 for pushing in the lane. As T I have indicated 3-point attempt as whistle sounds, ball misses and then close down to help my partner by identifying shooter as we are in the bonus and may need to go to the other end for 1-and-1. At this point, no one has indicated free throws or not and I stop my partner as he passes me to report. I ask if he had foul before or after the 3-point try. He clearly indicates the foul occured before the try, (when Team A was in control) although he whistle sounded after the release (when Team A was not in control).
Because the foul occured while A was still in team control (before the shot), we award the ball to B on the endline rather than shoot bonus. That split second between before and after the attempt meant the difference in potential two free throws for the trailing team in a 4-point game with less than 2 minutes to play.