View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachTex
Also, I would really like your input on a handout for the coaches. Never before have we given the coaches anything but a copy of our local rules. As a coach and administrator, I know what I want to put in it, but you as officials, what would you want in it?

Next, I also want to prepare a handout for the parents. From an officials viewpoint, what would you like to see in it?
I wouldn't go the handout route for the officials. Go to the booking agent who assigns the officials. Explain the problems that you're having at the lower levels and what you would like to see done. As long as you approach it professionally, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Also, if need be, you could meet with the officials prior to the games and explain what you're looking for as well. If you have an official who isn't getting the picture and the game is getting out of hand, speak with him privately during halftime. If that doesn't work in the second half, send him home.

As for the parent handouts, there are many myths about the game. Over the next year, read this board, learn what these myths are, and publish them for your parents. Again, it wouldn't hurt to run it by the booking agent before publication.

Good luck!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith