View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Texas Aggie,
Sorry, but my beliefs prevent me from taking advice from an aggy JUST KIDDING! (and no, I'm not a whorn, just a classless clown ).

We have the running clock (except for TO's and shooting fouls) but I never thought about the bonus situation. That's a GREAT idea! Thanks!

We have a league official that assigns the refs and he does a great job. We seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel though for our primary league as not a lot of experienced refs want that job. And I understand completely because it's not just a job as a ref but they have to be kind of a coach out there too.

As far as the handout, I forgot to mention that I would really like to have an officials' meeting the morning of our opening day, just to go over the local rules and what our expectations are for the league. Of course, we would offer to pay them to attend the meeting.

blindzebra,
YES! We are VERY liberal with the traveling and double dribble. Probably too much, but it's hard to draw a line with the little ones.

Why have officials? If you put a coach or parent out there, someone is going to scream. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. We've tried it in the past. But I do understand your point. The problem is finding volunteers willing to do it and with so many problems with parents in all youth sports, volunteers are harder and harder to find. But maybe I will put out some feelers to see if there are some interested parties. The biggest problem is, we have 18 primary teams which equates to 9 games over 2 gyms. Finding volunteers willing to give up 5 hours every Saturday for 7 weeks is tough!

[Edited by CoachTex on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 06:40 PM]