View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Howdy officials!
I'm an administrator with our local rec league. Next year, *ahem*, I am going to be THEE administrator, aka president. So this year, I've been making notes and such on how we can improve our league. We have kids from 6yo to 14yo. As much as parents protest, we do not keep score with the 6yo thru 8yo's (although all the parents do *grrr*). Wish we could change it for all leagues but I would probably be ran out of town. Anyway, here's my request:

We use high school refs from our local association for ALL games. We pay them $25/game (local association's fee structure). For the most part, we get good quality refs all the way down the line until we get to the little ones. There, we get a lot of refs that are just collecting a paycheck. I understand that these are usually rookie refs but in some cases, it's some joker looking to collect a check from us (sorry if that offends, but it's a reality). Normally in our little ones' games, the biggest/strongest kid dominates physically. Refs usual reply is "it's just a bunch of kids, let em play". I view it differently. It is a bunch of little kids, but I believe it should be more like tee-ball where everyone gets a hit. We have rules preventing double teams, chasing the ball, etc. but the refs for the most part ignore and "let the kids play". Game evolves into "caveman basketball", then only a very few kids or parents enjoy it.

Before next season, I would like to put out a handout to all the refs throughout the league. Specifying some of our points of emphasis, etc. Basically, how we, as a league, would like all games (esp the little ones) called, including clarification on some of our local rules. As officials, do you think this would offend or cause problems? Some of you that have called youth basketball games, do you have any suggestions as what you would like to see in it?

Also, I would really like your input on a handout for the coaches. Never before have we given the coaches anything but a copy of our local rules. As a coach and administrator, I know what I want to put in it, but you as officials, what would you want in it?

Next, I also want to prepare a handout for the parents. From an officials viewpoint, what would you like to see in it?

What I would really like to see come of this thread is some type of manual for youth basketball evolve. If I'm way off base, don't hesitate to let me know, but I value the opinion of the officials as you all are the only one's that really don't have a dog in the hunt.

Thanks,
Coach Tex

P.S. By the way, when my kids are out of the league, my goal is to get into officiating