View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Had my first varsity game last night, girls, 2 good teams. My partner does college games, has lots of experience. Uneventful game with visitors losing by about 20 when visitors' coach explodes after my partner's call in the third quarter, slams his water bottle onto the floor where it opens and spills water onto the court. I T'd him for it, home shooter made 1 of the 2 FT's off the T, visitors made a great comeback, tied it, went into overtime, home team won by one point on a foul shot with 2 seconds left in OT (my partner called the shooting foul on that). My wife was there, said it was a baptism of fire for me. I wonder if anyone picked up on the fact that the coach's T may have (probably did) cost his team the game? Or was it the official's fault, as usual? Anyway, I'm a third year ref, 2 years in the state association, was lucky to get this assignment from a friend on a cancellation, I do mostly freshmen and JV but I won't forget the excitement of my first varsity game.

One footnote: after the technical, the visitors' coach would not sit down, I calmly reminded him that he lost the box and needed to sit, he was shocked, did not know that rule, I did not want to further provoke the situation by a second technical, followed by removal from the building, paperwork, phone calls, etc. I was hoping my partner would come to the rescue and sit him down, but he didn't. I know I could have T'ed him again and ejected him but decided against it. Any thoughts?