View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Under the basket

In my experience, the single element that most confounds consistency among partners in high school officiating is that some officials imagine an NBA-style area around, and, in particular, directly under the basket in which a defender may not establish legal guarding position and thus take a charge.

At least in the NBA it's crisp. Heels on the dots, it's a block.

Here's how I personally handle this:

If the defender is directly under the basket AND the offensive player does not show absolutely wanton disregard for the life and limb of the defender AND the offensive player is basically coming DOWN the lane, then it's a no call. The shot will have already been taken, so no effect on the shot. It's incidental contact.

If, however, the dribbler is coming from the side, from any angle at which it's reasonable to think he/she might just go on through to the other side, well, then there's no way for the defender to know which - shot or go through - is going to happen, so setting up under the basket, even behind the plane of the backboard, is perfectly reasonable. If it's a block or a charge, it's a block or a charge.

Is there language somewhere in the rules that addresses this? If there is, I've lost track and would appreciate the info.