Thread: NFHS Update
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 31, 2006, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BretMan
Just to give you another perspective, around here the NFHS baseball umpires and softball umpires are totally separate entities. They have their own associations, their own meetings, do their own training and testing, do their own scheduling and never the twain shall meet.

Trying to keep dual-certifications for both sports can be tough. I've been going the ASA softball/NFHS baseball route for the past few years. The baseball training around here is pretty intense, but the training available for softball is far, far behind.

Imagine how thrilled I was to find out that an ASA state umpires clinic was finally going to be held in my area (well, about 2 hours south of me, but close enough).

Then, imagine how disappointed I was to find out that our local baseball umpire association has a field clinic scheduled for the very same day!

I'm leaning toward the ASA clinic, as I have attended the annual baseball clinic for several years.

[Edited by BretMan on Jan 31st, 2006 at 01:37 PM]

Go to the ASA clinic.
I say that because it is a good first opportunity for you.
You won't be disappointed I am sure.
As an aside, I have worked minor league pro in years past along with 20 years of Fed Baseball plus some college along the way.
As I notice the newer umpires who are moving up, many of them are using ASA softball hand signals, I even saw it last year during spring training down here in Florida. In many areas, baseball gurus are recognizing the value of some of our softball mechanics and are translating them over to baseball.
It won't work in every area, but for some it does.

Aside from that, attending another clinic never hurts as it expands your exposure to others and their skills.